Ram 1500: Best All-Around Pickup Truck
The Ram 1500 is a full-size pickup truck that is manufactured by the Ram division of Stellantis (formerly known as Fiat Chrysler Automobiles). It was first introduced in 1981 as the Dodge Ram, but in 2009 it was rebranded as the Ram 1500 after Ram became a separate brand from Dodge.
The Ram 1500 is known for its durability, towing capability, and advanced technology features. It is available in several trims, including Tradesman, HFE, Big Horn/Lone Star, Rebel, Laramie, Longhorn, and Limited.
- Tradesman: The Tradesman is the base trim level of the Ram 1500. It comes with a standard 3.6-liter V6 engine, an 8-speed automatic transmission, and rear-wheel drive. It features 18-inch steel wheels, a 5-inch touchscreen display, a rearview camera, and a basic audio system.
- HFE: The HFE (High Fuel Efficiency) is a fuel-efficient version of the Tradesman. It features a 3.6-liter V6 engine with eTorque, which improves fuel economy by adding electric power to the engine. The HFE comes with 20-inch wheels, a tonneau cover, and other features designed to improve fuel efficiency.
- Big Horn/Lone Star: The Big Horn (also known as the Lone Star in Texas) is a step up from the Tradesman. It comes with additional features like chrome exterior accents, fog lights, and an 8.4-inch touchscreen display. It also offers more engine options, including a 5.7-liter V8 and a 5.7-liter V8 with eTorque.
- Rebel: The Rebel is a rugged off-road-oriented trim level of the Ram 1500. It features an electronically locking rear differential, off-road suspension, and all-terrain tires. It also comes with unique exterior styling, including a blacked-out grille and fender flares.
- Laramie: The Laramie is a more luxurious trim level of the Ram 1500. It comes with features like leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, and a 10-speaker audio system. The Laramie also offers additional engine options, including a 3.0-liter diesel V6 and a 5.7-liter V8 with eTorque.
- Longhorn: The Longhorn is a western-themed trim level of the Ram 1500. It comes with features like leather and wood-trimmed interior, heated and ventilated front and rear seats, and a 19-speaker Harman Kardon audio system. It also offers additional engine options, including a 5.7-liter V8 and a 5.7-liter V8 with eTorque.
- Limited: The Limited is the top-of-the-line trim level of the Ram 1500. It comes with features like a 12-inch touchscreen display, a 360-degree camera system, and a self-leveling air suspension. It offers the most engine options, including a 3.0-liter diesel V6, a 5.7-liter V8, and a 5.7-liter V8 with eTorque.
The Ram 1500 comes with a variety of engine options, including a 3.6-liter V6, a 5.7-liter V8, a 5.7-liter V8 with eTorque, a 3.0-liter diesel V6, and a 6.2-liter V8 (in the TRX trim). The V6 engine produces 305 horsepower and 269lb-ft of torque, while the V8 engines produce between 395 and 702 horsepower and between 410 and 650lb-ft of torque, depending on the trim level. Regardless of engine choice, it comes with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
The Ram 1500 has impressive towing and payload capacity, with a maximum towing capacity of 12,750 pounds and a maximum payload capacity of 2,300 pounds.
Depending on the trim level, the Ram 1500 is relatively fuel-efficient for a full-size pickup truck. The V6 engine gets an EPA-estimated 20 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway, while the V8 engines get between 15 and 17 mpg in the city and between 21 and 23 mpg on the highway.
The comfortable and spacious cabin has available features like leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, and a dual-pane panoramic sunroof. It also comes with a user-friendly infotainment system that includes a standard 5-inch touchscreen, with an available 8.4-inch or 12-inch touchscreen, depending on the trim level. Other available features include a 19-speaker Harman Kardon sound system, a wireless charging pad, and a 360-degree camera system.
The Ram 1500 comes with a variety of safety features, including a rearview camera, rear parking sensors, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking. Adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning are also available as optional features.
Overall, the Ram 1500 is a popular truck because it offers a winning combination of versatility, performance, comfort, and style. It’s a truck that can handle just about anything you throw at it, while still providing a comfortable and enjoyable driving experience. Come check out the Ram 1500 today at Diehl of Grove City!